Mule Phillips 66 Service Station and Bus Depot at Intersection of Highways
24 and 36 in Monroe City.
White Mule Oil Company was organized by the Producers Oil Corporation in
1920, as one of a string of gasoline service stations in Missouri.
years later the late Jasper Henderson acquired the Monroe City property,
establishing it on a successful foundation. Mr. Henderson continued to be
manager of the business until failing health forced him to retire, at
which time he deeded the property to his daughters, Mrs. Cecil P. Forsythe
and Mrs. Roy B. Meriwether.
April 17, 1924, after this change in ownership, Mr. Forsythe who had been
located in Clarence for a number of years, returned to Monroe City and
assumed active management of the company, maintaining this position until
his death in 1941.
September, 1946, the company began transporting their own merchandise.
office and truck headquarters of the business are maintained at 232 Winter
Street, where the first drive-in service station to be erected by the
company in Monroe City now stands.