the rival town of Clinton, was divided from the latter
merely by an alley. It was laid out by Col. Gabriel
Jones in 1836. Greenlee Hays opened the first store.
James Coombs, Benedict Gough, Blakey and Lasley were
early merchants. The town went down when Clinton did.
North Fork post-office is located one mile north-west
of Clinton, at the residence of Samuel McDowell, who
is postmaster. The first church in the township was
located at Clinton and was built by the M. E. Church
the constituent members of this church were William
Fowler, wife and two sons; John Strayer and wife; Adam
Hickart and wife; William Henniger and wife and Henry
Ashcraft and wife. The Christian Church bought
Greenlee Hay's house at an early day and made a church
of it. Among the first members of this church were
James M. Dean and wife; John and Drury Ragsdale and
Robert Nesbit. These churches were discontinued years
ago. The Methodists, however, built another church one
mile east of Clinton which is still in existence. John
Couch was one of the first school teachers in the
township and taught at Deer Creek school-house. Among
the large farmers in Washington township are C. A.
Hamilton, George Gough, Jacob Crow, Thomas Hart,
Fountain Sparks, W. T. Adams, James Hawkins and John