Indian Creek

Elizabethtown was located on Indian Creek, six miles southwest of Monroe City, and 17 miles northeast of Paris. The population was about 350.  There were two dry goods stores, two drug stores, three grocery stores, two blacksmith ships, and one good hotel. The town was laid out in 1835 by a Mr. Swinkey, and for some time bore his name. Mr. Swinkey's wife was named Elizabeth and the town was finally named in honor of her.

     --Directory of Towns, Villages, and Hamlets, Past and Present, of Monroe Co., Mo.,   p. 158

It was formerly known as Indian Creek.

     --Campbell's Gazetteer of Mo., 1874, p. 380                  (submitted by Robin Gatson)


The town was established in 1833, and was originally named Swinkey after Charles T. Augustine Schwenke who laid out the town and operated the first store and blacksmith shop. Later it was renamed Elizabethtown because the first  2 women in that town were baptized Elizabeth .  One was Elizabeth Hardesty Short and the other was Elizabeth Hardesty Elzea who married August Schwenke.  Eventually  the town became Indian Creek.  In the early days it was known as a trading post and mail center for the frontier community.  Many  of the first families in the area were from the Rolling Fork Settlement, Marion Co., Kentucky. Also  known as the "Maryland Catholics on the Frontier".  

This town is the location of St.Stephen's Catholic Church  and Cemetery (inactive). The 5 acres of the land for the church was donated by Stephen A. Yates, so the church was named in his honor . The first church was built of logs , and the first entries of record are in 1833.  Sometime later it was rebuilt of brick and remained until the day of March 10, 1876. The worst storm that ever struck Monroe Co., descended upon Indian Creek. At the time, the population was 350, and many shops.  The town was practically destroyed  by the twister.  The church was leveled. One large log dwelling with a stone fireplace ( The Combs Place) was also leveled.  Inside were 8 people.  Three people died when the logs and fireplace fell on them.  Mrs. Girton, Mrs. Pierceall,  Josie Pierceall,  were the victims. Elsewhere killed was Alice Skees.  Many others in the area were injured.  The church was rebuilt again, and again destroyed on March 11, 1907 by fire after being stuck by lightening.  Once again it was rebuilt and still stands today.  In its 100 + years , there were 4250 Baptisms, and 700 Marriages.