is situated in Clay Township in Monroe County,
Missouri. Clay Township contains an area of
fifty square miles and is one of the northwest
tier of townships. Two-thirds of the township is
prairie. It is fair to average land for farming
purposes, the northern and southern portions
being the best. Crooked Creek, Otter Creek,
Middle Fork, and Salt River pass through
sections 26, 27, and 28, in the southern part of
the township. It contains seven school houses-in
sections 31, 15, 26, 18, 6, 2, and 14 and three
churches: Baptist, Methodist, and Christian.
of the settlers who made up the original
citizenry of Granville came from Kentucky and
Virginia. These pioneers envisioned a great,
prosperous community. Realizing that the first
essentials in the development of any community
are intellectual and spiritual culture, they
gave much attention to these things.
1836, William F. Foreman surveyed the land
around Granville, and Granville was laid out in
blocks. The townships of Clay, Woodlawn, and
Monroe were laid out after 1840.
bears the name it does because of the popularity
of Dr. Granville Giles. He came to Granville
daily to practice medicine but continued to live
on his farm. According to records, he was a
well-liked man because of his fitness for his
work and his fine personality.
of the residents wanted to name this place
Kipperville because of another resident who
owned and operated a mill here, John C. Kipper.
However, the majority decreed it should be
called Granville, for the doctor.
house of Dr. Granville has been torn down and
replaced by a new house. The original house had
to the 1884 history of Monroe County, the first
house in Granville was built by John Parker, who
also had the first store. Samuel A. Rawlings was
also a merchant at that time. Some of the houses
in Granville were built with high foundations,
for Otter Creek rises to flood the fields and
streets around Granville. One of the worst
floods was in 1958.
Henry Harrison came to Missouri from Maryland at
the beginning of the Civil War in 1863. He came
with his wife to join another Maryland family,
the Daniel Getsenderners. He settled on a farm
east of Granville. Later a brother, Tom, joined
him. He had ten children. One of them was J. W.
1865, after the Civil War, Bill Anderson and
Jesse James camped behind W. H. Harrisonís
home in a grove of trees. They were trying to
dodge the militia from Palmyra who were
searching for them. Mrs. Harrison cooked
breakfast for them. They left a horse for one of
the Harrison boys. He took it and hid it on
Otter Creek, so the militia couldnít find it
and confiscate it or find out that the Harrison
family had had anything to do with the Anderson
party. They could have been in trouble because
at that time one didnít know who was a friend
and who was an enemy.
of William Henry Harrison have continued to live
in the Granville community. The farm where he
first settled continues in the Harrison name.
Ford was the first male child born in the county
of Monroe. His father was the first sheriff of
Wilson Field came from Maryland; he served
sixteen years as a judicial magistrate. He had
four children by his first wife and six by his
second wife. He owned a large amount of land and
livestock. He was a Mason and belonged to the
Granville Methodist Church.