in the City of Paris
County Courthouse - Constructed in 1912, it was the last domed
courthouse built in Missouri. It was constructed of limestone,
marble and granite at a cost of $100,00. The Great Seal of Missouri
is featured in mosaic tile on the floor of the rotunda.
Murals - In the rotunda are four murals painted by Mrs. Doris
Hill of Paris, each depicting a 50 year period.
Veterans Memorial - dedicated in 1991.
Historical Society Museum - Relics of early days. Paintings
are by Gordon Snidow, notable Cowboy artis , born in Paris. Museum
is located in the first floor of the courthouse.
Male Academy - East Monroe Street. Built in 1850. There are
13 rooms and space for 30 boarders.
Judge D.H. Moss Home - 403 W. Locust. Built in 1884 on the
Queen Anne Style, it was one of handsomest and most complete
residences in Northeast Missouri. The home contains 11 large rooms.
Brace Home - Located on Rock Road. Built in 1850, there are
two large front rooms separated by hall. Each room has a fireplace.
There is a large curved oak stairway to the four second floor
Union Covered Bridge - The only "Burr-arch" covered
bridge left in Missouri is located near Paris. Named for the Union
Church which once stood nearby. This 125 foot-long, 17 1/2 foot-wide
bridge was built in 1871 by Joseph C. Elliott for $5,000.
Broughton House - 313 E. Madison. Built in 1831. The original
church building of the Baptist Congregation.
Robert M. Burgess House - 316 W. Monroe. Built in 1860, a
French mansard style containing eight rooms of solid brick
construction, it has huge hand cut stones for a foundation. Exterior
plans are said to have been used in part for Governor's Mansion in
Clay Mallory Home - 328 W. Marion. Probably the oldest
building in Paris. The abstract shows that in 1831 J.C. Fox bought
the land and built the house.
Thomas Conyer's House - Built in 1845, the original house has
rafters of saplings, with one side only hewed flat to hold roof
sheathing, the rest of the saplings still carrying the original
bark. Three of the original soft pine, wide board floors are in use.
Interior walls are of solid brick, each with its own foundation. The
north part, added in 1905, has eight heavy curved glass windows on
the northwest corner. The home is located at 122 Payne St. and was
once by Mr. & Mrs. R.I. Colborn.
W.B Priest Family Home - West of Paris on Hwy 24. It was
built prior to the Civil War. Of brick construction. its outer walls
are solid, as well as the inner division walls.
Allen Home - Built in 1869, the ground floor contains five
large rooms, the baseboards are hand grained, with a walnut curved
stairway, spindles and newell post, with four bedrooms upstairs. The
front portico floor and steps were made of hand hewn rocks, as well
as the foundation and the bottom window casings. Located at the
south edge of Paris on Hwy 15.
Caretaker's Building - Walnut Grove Cemetery. The original
building's design is Little Dixie Victorian architecture constructed
around 1870. The round turret originally enclosed a water tower for
storage of water. A directory has been placed at the entrance of the
MarkTwain State Park/Shrine - Located a Florida, the quarter
of a century old museum is a tribute to Samuel Clemens.
Clemens Family Mural - Post Office, West Monroe. It has hung
in the lobby since 1940 and depicts the arrival at Florida of the
Clemens family before "Mark Twain" was born. Fred G.
Three-Section Tombstone - Founder's Cemetery, north edge of
Paris. Possibly only one in the world to list three wives of one
Rockwell Visit - A reproduction of the Norman Rockwell
painting "The Country Editor" can be seen in the office of
the Monroe County APPEAL at Paris. Rockwell came to Paris and used
the Appeal's editor, the late Jack Blanton, and other employees as
First Baptist church-North Main, Built in 1917. It is red
brick with a Greek porch.
First Christian Church - Caldwell & Washington. Built in
1910, the gray brick structure is English Gothic type. The bell that
hangs in the church hung in the steeple of the church in 1848.
Presbyterian Church-West Caldwell St., built in 1920 of red
brick and features a Greek porch.
Paris Public Library - 101 N. Main St. Tapestry brick-Greek
Style built in 1914, given in memory of the Dulaney family. the
inside has a marble entrance, surrounded by beautiful wood.
Bicentennial Tree - 710 Cleveland. the Oak Tree is over 300
California Redwood Tree - 406 W. Monroe. It was brought by
covered wagon from California in 1832.
Source: Paris Chamber of Commerce
of Places in Monroe County on the
National Historical Register
Group Archeological Site Address Restricted Florida 05/21/1969
Holliday Petroglyphs Address Restricted Holliday 01/11/1974 74001083
Twain State Park Picnic Shelter at Buzzard's Roost Off MO 107 Santa
Fe 03/04/1985 ECW Architecture in Missouri State Parks 1933-1942 TR
Male Academy 411 E. Monroe St. Paris 07/19/1990 90001103
Mark, Birthplace Cabin Mark Twain State Park, 2.5 mi. S of Florida
on MO 107 Florida
Covered Bridge 6 mi. W of Paris on Elk Fork of the Salt River Paris
Violette, Merritt, House Off MO 107 Florida 09/08/1983 83001031
Washington School 529 S. Locust St. Monroe City 12/29/1994 94001502
courtesy of Rhiossampler