town has always had a post office, though for many years
it was located in one of the general stores with the
clerks acting as postmaster. If the store was sold the
office went to the new owner. It was housed in many
different places through the years. The mail arrived by
train. In early days when the mail came in people would
flock to the post office. One whose name was called would
answer, “Here”, and his mail would be tossed to him.
One day the postal inspector unexpectedly visited the
office, and this method of handing out mail was not used
post office was in the Dan Curtright store from 1898 to
1902. From 1902 to 1905 it was in a store run by H.R.
Blades. It was then moved to a brick building on the east
side of the Main Street where it was run by J.M. Blades.
It was later moved to another location, still under the
James Blades name, but operated by his daughters, Maude
1914 Guy Brooks became postmaster. He was succeeded by Tom
Sparks in 1921, who held office until 1933. In both cases
the location was again changed. Mrs. Ben Glasscock became
post-mistress in 1933. The office was then in the present
Masonic Lodge building, but later moved to a room in the
rear of the first floor of the present Odd Fellows Hall,
and still later to the Monroe County Exchange Bank
building. It was located there when the building burned in
1959. Temporary quarters were then set up in the basement
of the Justus Olney home, and remained there until the
building which now houses it was constructed. Mrs.
Glasscock retired as postmistress in 1960. Mrs. Jane
Callison was appointed as temporary postmistress, and
retained the position until Lee Mitchell was appointed in
1961. He continues to serve at this time. His assistant is
Mrs. Lois Blades.
first rural mail route out of Holliday was started in
1901. Grundy Delaney was the first mail carrier. All rural
boxes at that time had locks on them. At one time there
were three rural routes. Carriers have been Will Blades,
Elwood Curtright, J.A. Hemmings, J.B. Weldon, Eldon Hess,
Herbert Halliburton, and Justus Olney. At present all
former mail routes have been combined into one, and Justus
Olney is the carrier.