Fire in Holliday

The first fire occurring in the business district of Holliday was in 1890 when fire broke out in the site of the Lewis Curtright building and swept west as far as the present Davis store.

The old hotel which stood just south of what is now the Ralph Howe Feed Store burned in February, 1900. This was rebuilt sometime later along with two other brick structures. In December, 1932, these buildings caught fire from some unknown origin and burned to the ground. The proprietors of the buildings when they burned were: going from north to south--Mr. Collins, grocer; Fred A. Thompson, undertaker and furniture dealer; Hamp Soloman, General Merchandise. There were also two empty buildings in the burned section. The town hall was above the Collins store, In it were held the meetings of the Rebekah and Odd Fellow Lodges, shows and school exercises before the new school house was constructed. Eph McDowell also had a small office there as headquarters of his insurance business.

The old livery barn was burned in the spring, 1924. At that time it was operated by Jake and Frank Heathman. Holsheiser's Garage, which was formerly the Cumberland Presbyterian Church burned in the spring of 1932. It was then replaced with a brick structure in which business is carried on today. In the spring of 1928, the old school building burned and was replaced that fall by the modern brick structure in which school is now held.