He Came to Stay


Stephen K. Miers, who came to Paris from Frederick county, Kentucky, in 1858, never left the town during all his subsequent life. He and his family came to Hannibal by boat and to Paris by stage coach. They built a house on the lot now occupied by the Methodist parsonage. Mr. Miers and his sons, Albert and John, were carpenters and very fine workmen. Many of the present Paris residences were built by them.

Source: Centennial edition of the Monroe County Appeal dated 13 Aug 1931; submitted by Mary Beth Kirtlink.