William Hattersley Store, known as the Victor Store since 1933, was a
crossroad trading center and gathering place for the townspeople and
surrounding farming community. It was located 50 yards west of
intersection of Paris-to-Louisiana Road.
was built in the late nineteenth century in Section 19, Township 54
North, Range 8 West in Jefferson Township. The original settlement of
Victor was built on land belonging to M. Upton, B. Hughs, W. A. Jones,
and Robert Calhoon.
commerce in Victor was dominated by three families: the Calhoons
(blacksmith shop), the Stetsons (variety of businesses and houses), and
the Hattersleys (the general store). William Hattersley occupied a frame
house immediately to the east of the crossroads in Victor. His son lived
in a house to the north.
Hattersleys were instrumental in forming Victor’s second church, the
Christian Church, located just to the north of William Hattersley’s Jr.’s house, when they became
dissatisfied with the older Fairview Union Church.
as the Victor Store after 1933, the business was operated by Benjamin
and Oneva Blair. The Blairs sold groceries and household items,
delivered feed, picked up poultry and eggs, and hauled livestock. The
Hattersley/Victor Store also served as the center of community life—a
place to exchange news throughout the week and to play cards on Saturday