The Hade Brown Story

Many special thanks to the original reporters and dedicated genealogists whose newspaper articles/transcriptions made this compilation possible:

Kathleen Wilham, Larry Sumpter and Kathy Bowlin. LPP


The Man. 

James Hayden Brown was born in Cairo Township, Randolph County, Missouri, son of the notorious Bill Brown, who murdered William Penny in Jacksonville, Randolph County in 1865 and was afterwards shot and killed in Macon County by his brother-in-law.  

‘Hade’ Brown was said to have been endowed with an ungovernable temper and had been an unruly, turbulent bad boy his whole life. Ever ready to shoot, cut or kill whoever or whatever crossed his path, he was always boasting of his ability to whip or kill anyone who dared insult him. At the age of 19 he ran away with and married, against her parent’s wishes, Miss Susan Parrish, the daughter of Dr. J.C. Parrish, a respectable old citizen and highly esteemed gentleman of the county.  

Soon after the marriage, Brown’s devilish temper and cruel disposition was manifested towards his wife and resulted in his whipping and otherwise shameful treatment of her. Susan is said to have bore this treatment with fortitude until forbearance ceased to be a virtue; she left home and appealed to her parents for protection. They advised her to return to her husband and live with him if possible. Susan returned but Brown’s cruel treatment continued until one Saturday in July, while he attended a picnic in Monroe County, Susan again felt compelled to flee for her safety. She went to her parents again and appealed to their sympathies, protested against returning home to be beaten and cursed liked a cur. The Parrishs, in their goodness of heart, yielded to Susan’s entreaties and Dr. Parrish carried her off to his son’s home in Howard County.  

The Murder. 

On Monday, Dr. Parrish and a younger daughter were returning from Howard County when Brown rode up, armed with a double barreled shotgun. He was enraged that his wife had left and his in-laws had afforded her shelter and protection. First he ordered the girl to get out of the wagon, saying that he didn’t want to hurt her. Then Brown addressed the Doctor: 

“You God-damned old scoundrel, you have got to die right here.” 

“Why, Brown, you won’t shoot me, will you?” Parrish replied. 

“Yes, I will d--n you - I intend to kill you right here.” 

Brown then fired one barrel, the shot taking effect in his victim’s face and left side. Dr. Parrish attempted to get out of the wagon when the contents of the other barrel were discharged into his right side and he fell out. He immediately rose to his feet, however, and walked into Mr. Bennett’s house, in front of which the shooting occurred. 

Brown, having emptied his gun, rode off swearing he would return and finish the job. The tragedy had been witnessed by several men who were at Bennett’s harvesting, and one of them, young John Amick, got into a buggy and drove to the Doctor’s residence to bring Mrs. Parrish to her wounded husband. 

In the meantime Brown had reloaded his gun, returned and was endeavoring to gain admission to the house, to carry out his threat of killing the Doctor. He was kept at bay by the inmates however, and while trying to force open the door, he observed his mother-in-law, Mrs. Parrish, and young Amick coming up the road, and was heard to exclaim. 

“There comes that d--n old b---h now; I’ll give her a dose.” 

Leaving the house, he went out to meet them, and said to Mrs. Parrish: “If you have anything to say, say it d--n quick, for I’m going to kill you right here.” 

Having made this bloody threat, he leveled the gun and fired, the shot taking effect in her face. She then got out of the buggy and started to run, when the incarnate fiend let loose the other barrel and shot her in the back of the head. She fell in the road and expired in about fifteen minutes. While she was in the death agony, the murderer stood near her bleeding body and would allow no one to approach. Mrs. Bennett was finally permitted to go to the slaughtered woman and as she did so, Brown coolly enquired if she was dead. Upon being answered in the affirmative, he burst into a demoniac laugh, remounted his horse and rode off.  

Young Amick who was in the buggy with Mrs. Parrish, was accidentally shot in the knee and will probably have a stiff knee during life. On his way from the scene of blood, the assassin talked freely to several parties concerning what he had done, and announced his purpose, to kill his mother and step-father, and Moses Osborn and wife, (the later being his sister-in-law) and then carry his murderous work into Howard County, and slaughter his own wife and her brother. Young Mr. Parrish received a telegram informing him of the facts early Tuesday morning and started at once for the scene of the tragedy.  

On the Run. 

After the murder Brown made his escape, eluding the most diligent search of the officers of the law for almost a year until he was arrested in Rochester, Minnesota, in the spring of 1878. The necessary requisition papers were soon procured, and Sheriff Williams started for Rochester; he returned with his prisoner and placed him in the Huntsville jail. A Monitor reporter went up to Huntsville was permitted to have an interview with the murderer. He said, “Brown is a young man of about 21 years, blonde hair, is about five feet seven inches high, and has by no means the look of a dangerous character. He is quite pleasant in his manners, and we had no difficulty to get him to relate to us his travels west while a fugitive from justice. The following is his story, very much in his own words:  

“I left the scene of the shooting and rode through Ike Brown’s lane as far as Bill Baker’s, where I stayed all night and next day in the brush. From there I went to Macon City. On my way there I was overtaken by seven men from Cairo, who had started out in my pursuit, but I had made up my mind not to be taken and told them to stop and not come up closer, whereupon the seven men withdrew from the scene. Arrived at Macon City, I took breakfast and shod my horse. Went as far as Kirksville that day and stayed there all night. From there I rode along the railroad as far as Ottumwa, Iowa. 

From Ottumwa I went about one hundred miles into the interior of Iowa. Stopped one week near the Minnesota State line to give my horse and myself a rest. Had plenty money all the time; made it by curing, breaking and training horses. Only worked five days during my whole travels --three days for an Irishman named Bowler and two for one named Palmer, in Minnesota. Traveled in style; put up at hotels. I charged from ten to twenty-five dollars for curing a horse. People called me ‘The Horse Doctor.’ Was arrested at Iowa City on suspicion of being a horse thief, but they had to let me go. Went to Rochester, Ieota, Dodd Center, Stockton and Winona, Minn.; crossed the Mississippi into Wisconsin; passed through Hamburg, Black River Falls and Greenwood, stopped a short while at what is called ‘101,’ a hunting camp in the pinery about 100 miles from Neillsville. Went to Lacrosse, where I stayed two weeks, and went back to Winona by way of Neillsville. Made all these trips in company with a friend with whom I had got acquainted in Iowa. At Winona we took the cars for Deadwood City, where we staid from February 18th to March 23d. Made many acquaintances while in Deadwood--a man named Thompson and Thomas Jackson, both from Macon City, two men from Moberly and a stock man named R. J. Quinlan, from St. Louis; only Quinlan recognized me but did not remember my name. Went from Deadwood to Dakota in a spring wagon, and back to Minnesota. Our intention was to go East. Stayed near Minnesota State line three weeks.  

Stopped at several small places in Minnesota and at last started for Rochester, Minnesota, on Tuesday morning about nine o’clock. Put up at the Merchant’s Hotel. Doctored a horse and intended to leave on the train Friday morning at nine o’clock. Was arrested about half an hour before the train left. A young man by the name of Jackson, who had known me when he was in the employ of a merchant (think his name is Mose Baulm) at Macon City, recognized me on the street and spoke to me. He telegraphed to Sheriff Terrill, of Macon City, who sent back a message to have me arrested. I was sitting in front of the hotel smoking a cigar, waiting for the omnibus to take me to the depot, when Sheriff White, Jackson, and two other men stepped up and surrounded me. Jackson spoke to me and said, ‘Hallo, Hade, how do you get along?’ I answered that I guessed he was mistaken in his man; that I didn’t know him. I got up from my chair, when Jackson stepped back and said, ‘Look out, Sheriff, he’ll shoot.’ The Sheriff then said that he had a writ to arrest me, and asked if I would go along with him peaceably, as he didn’t wish to hurt me. The two men (deputies) who were with the Sheriff were standing right behind me covering me with their pistols. My partner, who was standing near by, winked at me to strike the Sheriff, drew his revolver, put it in his pants pocket and walked up behind the two deputies, but I thought it best to go with the sheriff. A great crowd had by this time assembled and accompanied us to jail. I had a private interview with my partner, to whom I delivered my papers. The Sheriff wanted him to give them up, but he told him there were not men enough in town to make him give them up. The Sheriff then searched me, but found no weapons. Jackson, the fellow who gave me away, told the Sheriff I had killed two men before, whereupon the Sheriff became afraid I might escape and put shackles on me. He asked me if I was guilty of the charge against me and if I was from Missouri, and I told him that I was the man he was looking for. He put me in an iron cell, and I stayed there about a week, when Sheriff Williams came to take me to Huntsville.” 

The Trials. 

Brown's first trial was in February 1879 and resulted in a hung jury. The case was again set for December 1879. The jury had been selected and the taking of testimony commenced when one of the jurymen was taken seriously ill. The Judge discharged the remaining jurors, ordered the Sheriff to summon another panel of 40 men, and set the case for trial January 26, 1880. The greater part of the first two days was occupied in an effort to get a change of venue. The trial proper commenced Thursday at 1 o'clock P.M. and by Monday night following, all the testimony was in. Tuesday and the early part of

Wednesday was consumed in arguing the case. The defense was most ably represented by Messrs. Martin, Priest, Christian & Provine, while the prosecution was well conducted by Messrs. Porter, Hall & Waller. The case was given to the jury Wednesday morning. The jury was composed of the following: D.E. Shirley, B.F. Sumpter, Jesse Lewis, J.H. Davis, J.W. Newby, W.C. Johnson, J.B. Brooks, S.D. Lyon, D.R. Patterson, T.J. Erskine, B.C. Knight and John H. Mosley. They were only out some 15 minutes when they returned a verdict of guilty of murder in the first degree. 

Brown’s attorneys later presented a motion for a new trial to the Moberly Common Pleas Court, giving fifteen grounds why it should be granted, which was overruled. They then made a motion to set aside the verdict which was also overruled; then they gave notice that they would file an affidavit for an appeal. His Honor, Judge Burckhartt, then proceeded to pronounce sentence on the culprit as follows: 

“James Hayden Brown, you have been convicted by a jury of your countrymen of murder in the first degree. Have you anything to say why sentence of death ought not to be passed on you?” 

The prisoner stolidly replied: “Nothing.” 

The Judge then continued: “The sentence of this court is that the Sheriff take you into custody and safely keep you until Friday, the 26th day of March, 1880, at which time he will take you and hang you by the neck until you are dead.” 

As the last sentence was concluded Brown remarked in and audible tone of voice: “He will never do it.” 

The prisoner was taken by train to St. Louis for safe keeping but the St. Louis jailor refused to receive him, or rather informed the Sheriff that Brown would be sent to the hospital and that it would cost $3 a day to guard him. The Sheriff brought Brown back to Huntsville. By April, the Sheriff believed it unsafe for Brown to remain in the county jail so he was removed to Kansas City for safe keeping. During his incarceration at Kansas City, Brown kept up the character he had established, defying God and man, and showing no signs of contrition for his dreadful deeds. 

Her Suicide. 

On April 21, 1880, Brown was visited in his cell by his wife, Sue. What passed between them is not known and probably never will be. It is known, however, that both had made up their minds to perish by suicide. This plan had been discussed before for all along had Brown, with the most hideous oaths, declared he would never perish on the gallows. These declarations did not particularly impress the authorities, as Brown was supposed to be more expert at threatening than at executing. Nevertheless, as is usual in the case of criminals about to die, he was closely watched and no means for accomplishing his self destruction were suffered to come within his grasp. There were no suspicions that the wife would convey to him any weapon or poison by which his threats at suicide might be carried into effect.  

Sue Brown was regarded as a quiet, modest, shrinking little woman, one who would revolt at any such action which it now appears she was so ready to perform, and of course was not watched. The visit to the jail yesterday was for two purposes. The first was to bid her husband an eternal farewell, for she resolved to die. The second was to provide him with means whereby he might end his life and thus escape the gallows. The means she had to offer him were poison – a heavy dose of morphine which, secreted in the folds of her dress, she had no difficulty in conveying to his cell. Where she obtained the morphine has not yet been developed. That may come out among the dry details of the Coroner’s inquest, but probably not. Brown took the deadly powder and placed it in his vest pocket. It was decided between the two that the wife was to die first; she probably told how she intended to end her wretched life. She was to leave a note for a friend and the friend was hasten to the jail and ‘tell Hade that Sue was dead.’ That was to be the signal for the husband’s preparations for death to begin. He was then to take the poison, retire to his pallet and pass to his eternal sleep. The morning was to find his body dead, stark and stiff in the cell. 

The plot was in some respects a clever one, but it was most terribly bungled. When the two parted, there was no unusual display of emotion between them. There was not a look or a gesture nor a word that was calculated to excite suspicion. They kissed each other good-bye, and the wife said: “We will see each other in the morning,” and those were her last words to him. She had said the same words many times before, and the guards took no particular notice of them. At the door, she turned and looked back at him but said nothing. The door closed and Brown went back to his cell. 

Upon her return to Mrs. Fisher’s residence on 1305 Cherry Street in Kansas City, there was nothing in Mrs. Brown’s appearance or actions to convey even the remotest hint of the dreadful purpose she had in mind. She ate her supper with the family and conversed as usual. She talked of her husband, of his goodness to her, of her love for him, of her devotion to her child – in fact of all those tender, holy subjects which are ever first and uppermost in the wifely, motherly heart. After supper she took the child over to a neighbor’s and left him there to play. She was observed to embrace him and kiss him before she left him. The child went about his play in his bright, nervous way.  

She returned to the house and found Mrs. Fisher sitting on the front porch talking with a lady friend. She passed into the house and was not seen alive again. From the evidence at hand, it is clear that upon leaving Mrs. Fisher she went into the bedroom near the rear of the house and upon the first floor. There she wrote the two letters found after her death – wrote them in the dim, uncertain light of day upon two slips of commercial billheads and in very uncertain, scrawling choreography. This accomplished, she took a comforter from the bed and with it made a pallet on the floor. In one of the bureau drawers there was a small .38 caliber five shooter. It was Mrs. Fisher’s only defense against burglary during her husband’s absence from home and Mr. Fisher just happened to be out of the city. The woman opened the drawer, took out the weapon, laid down on the pallet, placed the pistol to her right temple and discharged it. The bullet crashed through the bone and lodged in the brain. Death was instantaneous; the poor woman probably never suffered a pang.  

When Mrs. Fisher fond her lying there dead, the body was turned slightly over upon the left side, but the attitude was so natural and easy that the repose might have been mistaken for that of sleep instead of death. Mrs. Fisher was terribly shocked. Naturally of a delicate, nervous temperament, the awful scene was calculated to completely overwhelm her. Her cries soon attracted the neighbors who came pouring in and among them the little boy whom his mother had but a half hour previously kissed goodbye for the last time. 

The Aftermath. 

When her son saw her lying there, he tiptoed softly back to the staring, frightened group of women and said softly, “Mamma is asleep – we musn’t talk or we’ll wake her up.” Everybody wept – the strong men as well as the weaker women. A lady took the child up and carried him out into the street, and there he romped and played as gaily as if he were not indeed the loneliest and most blighted orphans. Very soon an officer arrived, and shortly the undertaker. A hurried consultation resulted in the decision that, under the circumstances, it was best that the body of the unfortunate woman should be taken at once to the undertaking establishment, where it would be properly preserved and where the coroner’s inquest could be held. The arrival of Coroner Day determined this, and the remains are now at Welden’s, where the inquest will be held. 

Two letters were found, conveying the last wishes of the unhappy woman. The first was pinned on the bosom of her dress and read as follows:  

“Mrs. Fisher, Please tell my darling husband immediately will you, that these are my dying words. Please see that (unknown) relations take me to the Swindell graveyard and bury me with my dear husband, and in the same grave and coffin. These are my dying words, good bye forever and ever. Please see that my child is raised right, no matter who takes charge of him. I forgive everyone who has wronged me and ask forgiveness. Goodbye to Chris and his family and to Moses and those sweet children; also my sister and dear old father and Mr. and Mrs. Fisher, and last of all my dear sweet child and husband. Oh forgive me, God, is my prayer, for the time draws near when I must die. Goodbye my dear, darling child and husband. This is written by Sue Brown.” 

The other letter was found on the bureau, and was as follows:  

“To my darling husband and child and my friend Belle Fisher, the one who has been so very good and kind to me. My darling husband and I will both die tonight. My life is a misery to me for I know James is to be hung, and I am very near crazy over my troubles, they are more than I can bear. Oh, how I hate to leave my darling, precious babe. I hope my relations will take charge of him and raise him right, and always be good and kind to him and for my sake never let him be imposed upon. I love my dear husband better then the whole world, and he can’t live and I won’t – we will both die together. I want to be buried in my darling’s arms, and in the same coffin with him. Mrs. Fisher, will you please see to us and not let them separate us in death is my dying wish. That my God will forgive me and take me safely home is my dying prayer. I want my sister Sarah and Lucy to have my things between them. A farewell kiss to my dear old father one I love. Mrs. Fisher, will you please for my sake and my darling’s have this published. I want you to take the news to Hade, it making no difference who says no.” 

Scene at the Jail. 

The discovery and persusal of the two letters left by Mrs. Brown let the authorities into the secret that there was an understanding between the murderer and his wife and that Brown himself had contemplated suicide and was probably in possession of means whereby to accomplish that result. To frustrate any such design, Deputy Marshal Freeman, accompanied by Jailor Farrell, Sergents Deitch and Snyder, Officer Barrons and several other patrolmen, made haste to the jail and quietly slipped up in front of Hade Brown’s cell. “Come outside, Hade,” said Freeman in as careless a tone as he could feign. 

Brown looked up and saw the squad of officers. In a flash he divined that something deeply effecting him had transpired. He did not know what, nor did he care. As quick as lightning he plunged his hand in vest pocket, drew out the package of morphine and crammed it into his mouth. Before he could swallow the fatal drug, however, the officers had seized him and powerful hands had fastened their vise-like clutch about his neck. Then ensued a frightful struggle. The baffled wretch floundered and fought with the desperation of a madman. His blasphemies and oaths and imprecations were too terrible for recital in a public print. Alternately he cursed himself and his assailants. “Kill me, you dogs of h--l,” he shrieked. “I’ve got to die anyway next Friday, and I might just well die here and now.”  

It was a dreadful scene. The struggle lasted several moments, till absolutely exhausted, blue in the face, his eyeballs protruding from his head and the truth bubbling from his mouth, the miserable wretch lay, feebly writhing on the jail floor. As if he had been a beast, his mouth was pried open and the poisonous package dragged forth. He was hauled to his cell and placed under a heavy guard, and even then, exhausted as he was, he continued to utter the most revolting blasphemies and imprecations. It was decided to tell him of his wife’s death the following day. 

His Final Days. 

The Supreme Court was later appealed to by the defense, with the hope of having the case reversed. But on May 6th, a decision was rendered that affirmed the finding of the lower court and the day of execution was fixed for June 25, 1880. When the paper was handed him containing the last decision of the Supreme Court in his case, Brown called his fellow prisoners around him and with curses upon the courts and officers of the law, read in mock judicial tones the decision that doomed him to die upon the gallows, and made his little child the son of an executed felon. The Kansas City Times printed this letter at Brown’s request: 

“Mr. Editor – Please put this before the readers of your paper. This is my side of this awful fate which hangs over my head. I was arrested June first, and have been in jail at St. Louis and Kansas City ever since the first of June, 1878 and have not been allowed to see my ma or my wife and child two hours since I have been in their hands. Since my sentence of death has been past on me I have not been allowed to have my wife with me over an hour at a time, and then I have been in my cell where I could not kiss her or my child. She left me this evening to never meet again on earth. Oh I write this with firm heart and with the promise of our great Almighty God that he bring us home to heaven, where all is love. The readers of this piece will remember that I am charged with one of the coldest and most horrified murders ever on record, but I will just say to the readers I have no recollection of shooting, Mother Parrish, although I have got to pay the penalty of the law.  

I will just say I have just been handed my Moberly paper, where I read that those blood-hounds have been fixing to have a nice time when I have got to die on the scaffold. Oh I will fool them. I would not give those blood hounds of Randolph County the pleasure of seeing me dangle at the end of a rope. I am going to take 3 ½ grams of morphine just as soon as I can write this to your paper. All I want to say is this, when I have been in jail in Kansas City I have been fed two meals a day and coffee once ever since I have been confined here. Is that the way your laws are in this world? Just because one paper or one rich man gets down on a man he has got to be mistreated by all? If this is humane treatment I will say hell is a paradise to this place. Starve a man and keep his family from him when he hasn’t got but three days to live. By God, it is all the hell I ever expect to see.  

I wrote to Sheriff Matlock requesting him to bring me up so I could see my people, and he wrote me he would not. He told me if I should ask him a reasonable request he would grant it. He also wrote to the Marshal of Kansas City and told him to keep my wife and child away from me. I don’t think that there was ever a man treated like I have been treated since my sentence was pasted on me. I am going to take my own life this time. They say I took poison; it is not true, I never. But I will say I am going to take it now. I can die and if I was one of those people who is so eager to see me hung they would shiver in their clothes. I suppose the people will say that I am crazy, oh I have as good sense as any man. As for the people of that county, I have not the least malice towards them, and as for Dr. Parrish, he has caused all this trouble. 

I have to give up and made up my mind to take morphine. I sent my dear wife home so I can take the deadly dose. I hope I may get pardon from all and friends and relatives for this rash act. I would not have took this if I had been treated half white and like a man. They drove me to murder and now they drove me to take my life just by mistreating me. I beg pardon from all I have injured and I pardon all who has injured me. Please put this in your paper.” 

Yours truly,

J.H. Brown 

His Last Words. 

At 1 o’clock on Friday, June 25, 1880, Brown was scheduled to be hanged on the Robert Smith place, near the No. 2 ½ coal shaft, one mile east of the courthouse and a half a mile from the city limits, on the Huntsville and Moberly Road. He was brought down from the Kansas City jail the day before the execution. While on the scaffold in front of 10,000 people, he said: 

‘‘Friends and Fellow Citizens – I am here today to offer my life for a crime that the law says I committed. I suppose I am guilty but have no knowledge of the crime. I am satisfied to die because it is just that my life should be given up. I am going to meet my own sweet wife in heaven; she whom I wronged in life. God knows I tell the truth when I say there was no agreements between us to commit suicide. I did not tell her to kill herself; I loved her too much. I ask the forgiveness of you all here assembled and have wronged you of the dear daughters of her for whose murder I die today. God knows I did not know when I killed her. 

I am not well today. I spent a sleepless night last night, and ask you to pardon me. I hope you will all pray for me. I hope that no one in this crowd will hold malice towards me. If I thought any of you held ill will towards me I would die a miserable man, the most miserable on earth. I ask the forgiveness of him whose life I attempted, the husband of her who died at my hands. If he is here today, I hope he will hold up his hand in token that he forgives me. I hope that if Henry Fort is here he will do the same, and if Lutie Parrish, Sarah Parrish and Chris Parrish are here I hope they will give a sign that I am forgiven and that they will let my poor soul go peacefully into eternity. 

May God bless you all and may we meet in heaven. If any of you meet my poor child treat him kindly for his own if not for his dying father’s sake. If you are all willing that I shall be buried in the same coffin with my wife hold up your hands. [This was to his wife’s people.] Thank God for your (…unable to read next lines) (any) lady here who (will) (…unknown) her hand and promise to see that this bunch of flowers is placed in the hands of my dear, dear wife. [The prisoner held up a bunch of faded flowers and some lady in the duty asked.] I hope and trust all who hereafter meet my child, my brother, or my broken-hearted mother will treat them with respect, and not sneer at and taunt them with the disgrace of my death. Extend them the hand of sympathy. As I came along the road of death just now, I saw several young men whom I knew in youth under the influence of intoxicating liquor and acting badly (in) the presence of the public. This caused me great grief, and I prayed to God to forgive them and make them good men. My last request is to be buried by the side of my blessed wife. Assured of this I can die happy. I shall feel contented if I know that you will all pray for me. Bless God for all his mercies to me.” 

His Last Request. 

Hade Brown’s last request was complied with. The bodies of Brown and wife were taken the following day from Huntsville to Moberly by his stepfather, Jackson, accompanied by his uncles, Isaac, Joseph and Edward Brown, and a few other relatives. The bodies were taken into the gentlemen’s sitting room at the depot and placed in one coffin, made large enough for the occasion. They were arranged with a hand of each resting on the other, giving them the appearance of embracing. The flowers that Brown requested should be placed upon them were then adjusted just as he requested. The bodies lay upon their sides facing each other. After every wish had been complied with, the coffin was placed upon the M.K. & T. train and taken to Monroe County, where the luckless couple were buried in the Swindell Cemetery, four miles south of Madison, Mo. According to the request of Mrs. Brown, in her letter to Mrs. Fisher, Brown’s boy was taken in charge by his wife’s relatives who would raise him.  

Sources: Compiled by Lisa Perry using articles from The Moberly Daily Enterprise-Monitor, July 26, 1877; Howard County Advertiser, July 26, 1877; Moberly Daily Enterprise-Monitor of June 10, 1878; Moberly Daily Enterprise-Monitor of December 29, 1879; Huntsville Herald of February 12, 1880; Kansas City Times of April 22, 1880; Huntsville Herald of June 17, 1880; Kansas City Times of June 20, 1880; Huntsville Herald of June 24 1880; and other unknown articles from the newspaper article collection of Mrs. Nannie Brown of Madison, Monroe County, Missouri.