Monroe County

Sesquicentennial Cookbook 1831-1981

Prepared by the Monroe County Historical Society

Click any thumbnail to view full-sized picture

cookbook001.jpg (90256 bytes)

Paris -  June 1921 Paris was founded in 1831. In the picture above the Jessie James advertisement is located on the Home Market building which was the last building built on the  east side of Main street. This view is looking north.

cookbook002.jpg (239911 bytes)

Also, Main street, taken at the same time, looking south.

cookbook1.jpg (520015 bytes)

Santa Fe  – The Masonic Hall

cookbook2.jpg (92471 bytes)

Florida -   This house is known as the Old Baker House, also known as the Buchanan Tavern where Grant sat up headquarters for a day when he was in the area during the Civil War. It still stands

cookbook3.jpg (42685 bytes)

Stoutsville – The Stoutsville School

cookbook4.jpg (411122 bytes)

MWA Camp, Stoutsville, 1904

cookbook5.jpg (187367 bytes)

Rural Florida, Buffington Station, a familiar stopping place for town and country people. Fred and Dorothy Buffington continue to run this small family store. Most rural stores have since gone out of business.

cookbook6.jpg (43358 bytes)

Madison – High School girl’s team, 1930

cookbook7.jpg (77105 bytes)

Evansville Church – Mrs. Nell Wheeler, teacher, George Meals, Mildred Broaddus, France Johnson, Elsie Cross, Hazel Meals, Alma Null, Elbert Meals, Persey Meals, Corrinne Powell, Howard Powell, Gene Embree, Arthur Null, Taken in 1918.

cookbook8.jpg (264676 bytes)

Old Familiar Scene – An old familiar scene at the Madison depot has now gone away as the building, along with the old timers, have all gone. Shown in the above photo from left are: An unidentified man; T. W. Holder, agent and Ike Holder, a brother of T. W. Holder, deceased. (photo courtesy of Mrs. Ruth Reed, daughter of the late T. W. Holder)

cookbook9.jpg (479126 bytes)

Covered Bridge over South Fork, South of Santa Fe

cookbook10.jpg (163396 bytes)

Middle Grove – Middle Grove is one of the oldest communities in Monroe County having been settled by the Fox family and others around 1823-1824, although it was not established as a village until later.

cookbook11.jpg (281768 bytes)

Old School Building, Paris Public School, June 1906

cookbook13.jpg (359015 bytes)

Mexico Covered Bridge in Background, Do you know these men?

cookbook14.jpg (130118 bytes)

CCC Civil Conversation Corps—Do you know any of these Monroe County boys?

cookbook15.jpg (147466 bytes)

Paris – Early Negro church, now owned by Baker Lumber Co.

cookbook16.jpg (48004 bytes)

Paris – Pelsue Shoe Store, winter goods for 1936, left to right Jack Vaughn, L. W. Pelsue, Gene Wilcox, and Craig Helsheiser

cookbook17.jpg (40412 bytes)

Paris Covered Bridge – Picture furnished by Mrs. Victor Hultz, Holliday

cookbook18.jpg (244957 bytes)

Monroe City - St. Jude Episcopal Church stand at the corner of Main and Catherine in the north corner and founded in 1855.

cookbook19.jpg (185338 bytes)

Monroe City – The Monroe Institute, established in 1860

cookbook20.jpg (412934 bytes)

Paris – The Male Academy, built in 1850 located on Monroe Street in Paris, north of the fairgrounds.

cookbook21.jpg (307410 bytes)

Farmers & Merchants Bank located on the corner of Main and Summer Street where the Friendly Tavern is located today.

cookbook22.jpg (193590 bytes)

Stoutsville Covered Bridge – Early morning baptism in the river.

cookbook23.jpg (257833 bytes)

The Samuel H. Smith Log House – located southeast of the former Pleasant Grove Church on U-Road between Paris and Florida. Mr. Smith was one of the Smith settlers who established a settlement east of Paris around 1823-1828. Because the house sat on land which would be flooded by the Cannon Dam it was dismantled and moved to Florida where it will be rehabilitated and used once again. The land on which it sat became Robert Scobee land and was last owned by Richard Barker.

cookbook40.jpg (285040 bytes)

Victor – Last store in Victor, built circa 1875-76 by William Hattersley of England, of pine lumber rafted down the Mississippi. The last owners and proprietors were Ben and Onevra Blair.

cookbook41.jpg (97404 bytes)

The Union Covered Bridge – The Union bridge was the last covered bridge built in Monroe County. It was built 1870-71. Felix G. Pool was the bridge commissioner. The Union bridge is located eight miles southwest of Paris

It is reached by turning south off Highway 24 west of Paris on Route “C” then turn right at the first leading to the bridge over Elk Fork of Salt River.

The Union bridge is the only covered bridge built in Monroe County that has not succumbed to the wasting touch of time.

cookbook42.jpg (126465 bytes)

Strother Store