The Civil War 1861

Source: 1884 Monroe County History

The Civil War of 1861- Number of Men Entering Southern Army from the County-The Battle at Monroe City-Capture of Paris-Grant's Expedition v. Harris-Mercury Suspended--Skirmish Near Elliott's Mills-Florida Fight- Bott's Bluff Fight-Lieutenant Killed by One of His Men.

When the first gun was fired upon Fort Sumpter (April 12, 1861), little did the citizens of  the remote county of Monroe dream that the war which was then inaugurated would eventually, like the simultaneous disemboguement of a hundred volcanoes, shake this great nation from its center to its circumference. Little did they then dream that the smoke of the bursting shells, which hurtled and hissed as they sped with lurid glare from rebel batteries upon that fatal morning, foreboded ravaged plains - "And burning towns and ruined homes, And mangled limbs and dying groans, And widows' tears and orphans'  moans, And all that misery's hand bestows To fill the catalogue of human woes." Little did they dream that the war cloud which had risen above the waters of Charleston harbor would increase in size and gloom until its black banners had been unfurled throughout the length and breadth of the land. Little did they imagine that war, with all its horrors, would invade their quiet homes, and with ruthless hand tear away from their fireside altars their dearest and most cherished idols. Could the North and the South have foreseen the results of that internecine strife, there would be to-day hundreds of thousands of happier homes in the land, hundreds of thousands less hillocks in our cemeteries, hundreds of thousands less widows, hundreds of thousands less orphans, no unpleasant memories, and no legacies of hatred and bitterness left to rankle in the breasts of the living, who espoused the fortunes of the opposing forces.  All that transpired during that memorable struggle would fill a large volume. Monroe county, as did the State of Missouri generally, suffered much. Her territory was nearly all the time occupied by either one or the other antagonistic elements, and her citizens were called upon to contribute to the support of first one side and then the other. However much we might desire to enter into the details of the war, we could not do so, as the material for such a history is not at hand. Indeed, were it even possible to present the facts as they  occurred, we doubt the propriety of doing so, as we would thereby reopen the wounds which have partially been healed by the flight of time and the hope of the future. It were better,  perhaps, to let the passions and the deep asperities which were then engendered, and all that serves to remind  us of that  unhappy period, be forgotten. We have tried in vain to obtain the number and names of the men who entered the Confederate army from Monroe county. No record of them has ever been preserved, either by the officers who commanded the men or by the Confederate government. It is supposed about 600 men went into the Southern army. Hon. Theodore Brace raised the first company at Paris for State guards, numbering about 70 men. These men went into camp on Elk fork of Salt river, six miles south of Paris. After being in the service six months they were discharged, when some of them entered the Southern army at the battle of Lexington.


The only engagement that took place in Monroe county du ring the Civil War of 1861 where cannons were used was the fight at Monroe City. The following is a full and true account of the same as given by eye-witnesses, and those who participated in the engagement: - The war clouds hovering over North-east Missouri grew blacker and blacker, and the rumblings of the battle  thundered louder and louder, and at last the storm broke. Hon. Thomas A. Harris, the representative of this county in the Legislature, had been appointed brigadier-general in the Missouri State Guard by Gov. Jackson under the military bill, and had  established his headquarters first at Paris, and next at Florida, Monroe county, whither all the companies of the State Guard in this district or division (the 2d) were ordered to repair. About the 16th of June Capt. R. E. Dunn's company, near Philadelphia, of this county, took up the line of march for this rendezvous.

Capt. Dunn's men were well organized, disciplined and drilled. They were uniformed and armed with muskets purchased the previous fall from the Palmyra military company, and presented a fine, soldierly appearance. Arriving at Paris, the men from Marion were mistaken for Federal troops, and it is said quite a panic and fright ensued among Harris and his men. The State Guard companies flocked to Gen. Harris in such numbers that by the 5th of July he had probably 500 men in his camp near Florida. By their scouts and spies the Federal military  commanders were informed of his doings, and Col. Chester  Harding at St. Louis, under authority from Gen. Lyon, ordered Col. Smith, of the Sixteenth Illinois, to march upon him and his fellow secessionists and break up their camp. Smith had himself  reinforced at Palmyra by four companies of the Third Iowa, one company of the Hannibal Home Guards, a piece of artillery, a six-pounder and got ready for the work. On Monday evening, July 8, Col. Smith marched from Palmyra against Tom Harris. His force consisted of Companies A, F, H and K, of the Third Iowa Infantry; Companies F and H, of the Sixteenth Illinois; Capt. Loomis' company of the Hannibal Home Guards; the six-pounder cannon - in all about 500 men, or not more than 600. The expedition went per rail to Monroe City, where it arrived in an hour and  disembarked. It was intended to make a night march on Florida, about 12 miles a little west of south of Monroe, and attack Harris' camp at daylight, but a severe storm coming up prevented this plans perhaps it should not have done. Tuesday morning (after his men had informed half the people of their destination) Col. Smith, with his entire command, not leaving even a guard at Monroe City to protect the town, the train and his stores of provision and ammunition, set out towards Florida to encounter Gen. Harris. As Monroe City is situated in the midst of an extensive prairie which stretches miles away in all directions, and as the troops were all infantry and marched slowly, their progress could be noted for hours, and ample preparation made on the part of the secessionists to receive them, especially as 10 hours' notice had been given of their approach. Passing out of the prairie through the " Swinkey Hills " the Federal troops reached the farm of Robert Hagar, three or four miles north of Florida. Here in the thick timber and brush, and on the top of an eminence known as Hager's Hill, they  encountered perhaps 50 secessionists under Capt. Clay Price, who had been sent out by Gen. Harris to reconnoiter. These at  once, and without warning, opened fire from their ambush at close range, severely wounding Capt. McAllister and two privates  (one named Prentiss) of the Sixteenth Illinois, slightly  wounding a private of the Third Iowa, and killing the horse under Adjt. Woodall, of the Sixteenth. The fire was returned and the Missourians retreated, leaving one man mortally wounded, and perhaps half a dozen horses. This affair took place about four o'clock in the afternoon. Not caring to go on, and not daring to retreat through certain bodies of timber in the night on his way back to Monroe, Col. Smith went into camp on Hagar's farm, near the scene of the fight. During the afternoon and night of the 9th,  Col. Smith learned that he had stirred up a hornet's nest, and that the secessionists were swarming all about him, -that they had gotten in his rear and were playing havoc at Monroe City,  nd their numbers were constantly increasing. Early on Wednesday morning, the 10th, he began his retreat to Monroe City. On the "Swinkey Hills " his advance guard was attacked, but no serious damage done. Emerging from the timber north of " Swinkey" or Elizabethtown, and coming in sight of Monroe, the Federals discovered the station-house, out-buildings, six passenger coaches, and ten or a dozen freight cars in flames. The Missourians, Capt. Owen's company, could be seen a mile away to the left, or west, watching the fire and the Federals. Col. Smith secessionists, under command of Capt. John L. Owen, of Warren township, Marion county. The value of the cars destroyed was  placed by the railroad company at $22,000; the station-house and contents, aside from the government stores, $18,000. The  value of government property taken and destroyed was  considerable. The same morning the train from Hannibal was  fired on a few miles east of Monroe, it is said, by some of Capt.  Owen's men and by his orders. The engineer was slightly wounded by a rifle ball in the arm.

Opened on them with his cannon and fired half a dozen or more round shots at them, one of which, it is said, killed a horse. The station-house and train had been fired by 100 mounted.  Killed at the battle of Kirksville while serving as captain under Col. Jo. Porter. Reaching the town, and finding himself surrounded, Col. Smith marched his men into a fine large two-story brick academy building in the place known as the ' Seminary, " took full  possession of it and the grounds adjoining, around which he began throwing up breastworks, having dispatched a messenger to the nearest telegraph office to ask for reinforcements.

Meantime the greatest excitement had arisen in the surrounding country, the news that 500 or 600 Yankees were "holed up " or "treed up" at Monroe spread like wild-fire. Hundreds of persons

living within 10 or 12 miles of the scene, roused by the  messengers that went galloping over the country, by order of Gen. Harris, mounted horses and rode to the "battle," some actuated by mere curiosity, others determined to participate in the fight. By noon Gen. Harris had collected around him probably 1,000 effective men, who were reasonably well armed and were eager to take a pop at the cooped-up Federals. His skirmishers crawled up as close to the academy building as they dared, and fired away at the windows and breastworks very briskly, with but little effect, however. The Union troops returned the fire at  every good opportunity. The main portion of Harris' forces were at a safe distance, watching their enemies and taking pains that they should not escape. The night of the 10th, Gen. Harris sent  ff for a cannon, the nine pounder which had been cast by Clever & Mitchell, of Hannibal, for Drescher's artillery company, and which  was then hidden under a haystack on the farm of Blair Todd, a few miles north of Palmyra. The messengers dispatched for it were George W. Brashears and George Milton, of Owen's  company, who had assisted in hiding the piece, as well as another six-pounder and a lot of balls. The six-pounder and the balls were under a pile of cordwood a mile west of Palmyra. The

six-pounder was not mounted. The nine-pounder was  serviceable, and with this Gen. Harris hoped to compel the Federals to surrender, or else batter down the building and tumble the walls about their ears. That night a close watch was kept on the besieged that they did not make either a bold sortie or a stealthy attempt to escape. Thursday, the 14th, the cannon came to the great delight of the Secessionists, and the bombardment began about 1 o'clock. A stranger from Ohio was chief gunner. There were only a few nine-pound balls and these were soon shot away. Nothing was then left for use but the smaller balls, and artillery practice with six-pound balls from a nine-pound gun was not certain to be accurate. Some amusing incidents were narrated of the cannonading by Capt. Kneisley's gun. It was said that the only safe place within its range when discharged was only immediately in front of it. One shot, it is stated, struck in the road 30 feet from the muzzle of the gun, and ricocheted over to the left a quarter of a mile, struck a blacksmith shop and dispersed a crowd of Secessionists, who fled in dismay, declaring they could not stand to be fired on by their own men and the Yankees too ! The academy was struck but a few times and no serious damage done. One shot struck the casing of a window in the upper story, damaging the wall and window and passing on through two brick partitions, knocking holes 10 inches in diameter and finally filling on the floor. Another passed through a door and a partition wall in the lower story; a third struck the stone foundation ; one shot passed  through the breastwork, but did no injury. In the meanwhile the number of Missourians gathered around had increased to 1200  or 1500, many of whom were not warriors pro tern. but mere spectators who had come to see " the fun." Even ladies and children had ridden up in carriages and wagons, and seated in their conveyances under the shade of parasols and umbrellas, watched the battle, the first perhaps ever graced by the presence of the fair sex, out of deference to whose sensibilities it is to be presumed the occasion was made as bloodless as possible. It was a sort of picnic or holiday and while it lasted nothing occurred to mar the enjoyment of the occasion. Not a man was killed or badly wounded on either side by an enemy's ball. Gen. Harris was a great speech-maker. Where two or three were  gathered together and he in the midst, he would, it is declared,  mount the nearest elevation and proceed to orate. He could not let this occasion pass without making one of his noblest efforts. At noon on Thursday he assembled some of his troops and  addressed them. His cannon had not yet arrived he told them and without it he could not take the academy unless at the sacrifice of many noble lives. He further said a large reinforcement for  Col. Smith was hourly looked for and he thought the best thing that could be done under the circumstances was to retreat. He then directed his troops to disperse, repair to their encampments and await orders. This, however, they refused to do. Then the cannon came up amid great cheering and the fight was resumed, without a leader really on the part of the Secessionists, every man fighting on his own hook." Meanwhile Col. Robert Smith was ot a little disturbed at the situation. He had unwisely allowed the greater part of his ammunition to be captured or destroyed and he had but a few cannon balls or shells or other artillery mmunition, and so his six-pounder was not of much service. He saved his ammunition in expectation of an assault, by firing bolt pins gathered from the ashes of the burnt railroad cars. True, his enemies were doing him no damage. Out of 25 or more of their cannon shots, only three had hit the building, and the shot-guns and squirrel rifles could avail but little against strong  breastworks and brick walls. Yet he feared that another and a more efficient piece of artillery might be brought up, and that  

Gen. Harris' already large force would be made larger, before his own reinforcements could be brought up. Gen. Harris failed to tear up the railroad track east and west of the town. as thoroughly as he could have done, and as he had no force in either direction, there was nothing to prevent the arrival of reinforcements for Col. Smith from either Quincy, Hannibal or Hudson, at all of which points it was known that Federal troops  were stationed. True, Salt river bridge, to the west 10 miles, had been burned, but a transfer could easily be made and the  instance soon compassed. At last they came.

At about half past 4 o'clock, a train was seen slowly approaching from the east, and as it came well in view, it was discovered to be crowded with Federal soldiers and upon a flat car a brass cannon gleamed ominously in the slanting rays of the declining sun. The beleaguered Federals sent up a loud cheer; the cannon on the car opened with grape and Gen. Harris and his troops, to use an expression common in the Civil War, skedaddled in short order, or rather in no order at all. Eye-witnesses describe the  scene as highly ludicrous. Many of the would-be soldiers hid their guns and sought safety in the carriages with the women and the children. Others galloped wildly away. The prairie was covered with buggies, carriages, wagons, horsemen and footmen-- all fleeing for dear life, and becoming more terror-stricken every rod they traversed. The majority of the State guards, however, retreated in good order to the westward and northward, carrying off their cannon, which was hidden that  night and for some days in the timber a few miles north of the town and west of Santy Calverts. Capt. Owen took off his company without much confusion and disorder. The Federal reinforcement proved to be Cos. A, B and D of the Sixteenth  Illinois, under Maj. Hays of that regiment, accompanied by a nine-pound field piece manned by volunteer artillerists. The  whole force numbered about 275 men and had come General and subsequently Governor of the State), and the 21st Illinois, Col. U. S. Grant (afterwards Lieutenant-General, etc.),  and other Illinois troops, in camp at Springfield and Quincy, were ordered to the rescue. Palmer reached Monroe City on the  morning of the 12th and remained two days, returning to Quincy. Grant came up a day later and went to Mexico. By Friday morning 2,000 Union troops, infantry, cavalry, and artillery, had reached Palmyra on their way to the scene of war. One body of  reinforcements for Col. Smith, under ex-Governor before. About 1,200 troops started from St. Joseph on the 11th and were joined at Hudson (or Macon City) by 700 more. These were detained, however, by the burning of Salt river bridge, which locality they reached on the 12th. The evening of the 11th the greater portion of Smith's command, including some of those who had been in the seminary, returned to Palmyra. Federal  troops soon scattered. Grant and Palmer went down on the North Missouri. The Iowa troops from St. Joseph returned and Col.  Smith remained in this quarter.

from Palmyra and Hannibal to relieve their comrades and commander from their predicament. While these events were progressing, the most painful and exaggerated reports and rumors were flying through the country, reaching not only  Palmyra and Hannibal, but Quincy, Springfield, Chicago, and even New York and Washington. One report was, that a desperate battle was taking place at Monroe City, and that Col. Smith's regiment had been surrounded and was being cut to pieces. The Fourteenth Illinois, Col. John M. Palmer (afterwards Major-Wood, of Illinois, came from Quincy down the river and landed at Marion City, and thence marched to Palmyra and on to Monroe.  The old warehouse at Marion City had been burned a few days

Gen. Thomas Harris with a portion of his command went southward in the direction of Jefferson City. Near Fulton, Callaway county, he was dispersed by a regiment of Home Guards, under Col. John McNeil, in an affair that was known as " the Fulton races." In a few days quiet was restored; trains were running regularly over the road by the 18th, transferring at Salt river for a few days until the bridge was built. A day or two after the affair at Monroe the Federals burned the residence of Capt. John L. Owen and seized a number of horses and mules and a  large lot of bacon belonging to him. This was done, as was claimed, in retaliation for his destruction of the railroad property at Monroe. During the fight at Monroe two or three of Smith's  men were slightly wounded. Of the secessionists, one man was killed by the accidental discharge of his own gun, and another had three fingers shot off. Another had a valuable horse killed, and one poor watch-dog, a non-combatant, lost his life by a stray shot. After Gen. Harris had ordered the Missourians to disperse,  the daughter of a prominent citizen of Marion county, living near Marion City, approached within 100 yards of the Federal  breastworks, cheered for Jeff Davis, and urged the secessionists to charge the academy and drive " the Hessians out. Her father and two brothers were in the State Guard at the time. Capt.  McAllister and the other men wounded at the " Hagar Hill" fight were taken to Palmyra, and Capt. McAllister was given quarters at George Lane's hotel-the Overton House. Following is Col. Smith's official report to Gen. Lyon:-


MONROE STATION, Mo., July 14, 1861.

SIR: In accordance with your order, on the 8th of this month I left my headquarters at Palmyra, Mo., with Cos. F and H of the Sixteenth Illinois regiment, and Cos. A, F, H and K of the Third Iowa regiment, and Co. A of Hannibal Home Guards, and one six-pounder and proceeded to this place. A heavy rain storm coming on retarded our further progress. Early on the morning of the 9th  I started out in search of the  rebel force under Harris.  At 4  o'clock p. m. when about 12 miles south of Monroe, our advance guard was fired into by the enemy, concealed in a clump of  timber and brush, the first volley severely wounding Capt.  McAllister of Co. G, Fifteenth Illinois regiment, also Private Prentiss of Co. A, same regiment, and slightly wounding a private of an Ohio regiment. I immediately ordered a charge and drove the enemy from their cover. As they were all mounted it was impossible to follow them further with advantage. We found one of their men mortally wounded and have reason to believe several more were shot who were carried off by their friends, and captured several horses, saddles and bridles. We made camp near this place for the night. On the morning of the 10th, having heard rumors of trouble at Monroe station, moved my command back. On coming in sight of Monroe found the station, out-houses, 17 passenger and freight cars and other railroad  roperty

in flames and found the enemy collected to the number of 300 to 400 on our left. On nearing them they began to move off, when I  brought forward the field piece and sent a few round shots into their ranks, scattering them in all directions. The only damage done here that I know of was one horse killed. After coming into  Monroe I took possession of a brick building known as the Seminary and enclosed grounds adjoining, its position answering purpose for defense if necessary and the apartments good  quarters for the men who were without tents. During the day we made several advances on the enemy without being able to get near enough to do much damage. On the morning of the 11th the enemy began to collect from all quarters, and by noon we were  surrounded by from 1,500 to 2,000 men. At 1 o'clock p. m., they opened fire upon us from one nine and one six-pounder, 1 at a distance of about a mile. Their firing was very inaccurate, only three shots out of the first 27 striking the building, and they did very little damage, my men being well covered by a breastwork they had thrown up. After throwing their first six shots, they moved their cannon some 400 yards nearer and opened fire. I immediately answered with the six-pounder, dismounting their smaller gun, which made a general scattering, and caused them to carry their nine-pounder to a safer distance. Their firing from this time had little or no effect Much credit is due Capt. Fritz, of Co. F, Sixteenth regiment, for the able manner with which he led his men throughout our little expedition. Also to gunner Fishbourn, who planted his shot among them every time, but  who had to deal sparingly, as he was almost out of shot, when we were relieved. I was much pleased with the officers and men generally, for their coolness and obedience to orders throughout.

At 4 :30 o'clock p. m., of the 11th, a train was seen coming from  the east with reinforcements. It proved to be Maj. Hays, of my regiment, with Cos. D, B, and A, of the Sixteenth Illinois, and one nine-pounder field piece. The enemy now began to move off and  by dark had left the field entirely, since which time they have been skulking about the country in squads, burning wood-piles, small bridges and culverts, when opportunity offers of doing so without danger. On the morning of the 12th, we were again  reinforced by Col. Palmer's Fourteenth regiment, which returned to Quincy to-day, leaving us in a worse position than ever, with the exception that we have more ammunition. Col. Palmer  brought two brass field pieces with him which he took away. Something of the kind would be very acceptable here just now, as there is a slight probability of their being useful. I have the honor to be your obedient servant.



Capture of Paris

Wednesday, July 30, 1862, a few days after the battle of Morris Mill in Callaway county, Col. Joseph Porter, coming north into Marion, Lewis and other counties, sent Joseph Thompson with a force of men who captured Paris. The county officials and a few Union citizens were arrested and paroled. Porter came up that night with 400 men, and after remaining a few hours left town, going north. 1 The Confederates had no six-pounders.


The first service in the field (Civil War) performed by Gen. U. S. Grant was from Hunnewell to Florida against Col. Harris. During the time of Porter's raid, and while the Federals occupied Paris, the Mercury suspended - the Union soldiers took possession of the office and published (one issue) a red-hot radical paper.


In the early spring of 1862, a band of men under Marion  Marmaduke were routed near Elliott's Mills, on Salt river above Stoutsville, by a company of the Eleventh Missouri State Militia, commanded by John F. Benjamin, of Shelby county. The lieutenant and four men were captured. Marmaduke leaped his horse over a high bank, swam Salt river and escaped. Lieut.  Rowland Harvey was taken to Shelbyville and in a few days shot in retaliation for some Unionists killed by bushwhackers.


July 22, 1862, 400 Confederates under Col. Joseph Porter met 50 men of the Third Iowa Cavalry, under Col. H. C. Caldwell (now U. S. Judge, Eastern District of Arkansas), at Florida. The  confederates were returning South from Knox county and met the Federal soldiers unexpectedly. A fight ensued. The Federals lost six men, killed and wounded -the Confederates, one killed  and three wounded. The Federals retreated to Paris and the Confederates went south.


A few days after the Florida engagement, Col. Porter and the Third Iowa Cavalry met again on the farm of Mr. Botts, near Santa Fe, when another fight ensued, with a loss to the Federals of one killed and three wounded and to the Confederates of one killed and three wounded. About May 6, 1862, Lieut. Theodore Brooks, Co. F, Ninth Cavalry, Missouri State Militia (Guitar's Regiment), had a scouting party in the southern part of Monroe, near Santa Fe. The party was staying at a house all night. Confederates heard of them, resolved to take them in-capture horses, etc. Made attack; alarm given; soldiers ran out at stable lot. Lieut. Brooks was shot by one of his own men (Sergt. W. W. Conger, of Centralia, who was killed in boiler explosion a few weeks ago), and died soon after. It was dark and Conger thought that Brooks was a Confederate. Brooks was from Columbia, a gallant and talented fellow.


On the afternoon of October 15, 1864, at about the hour of three o'clock, the Confederate soldiers numbering about 500 men,  under the command of Col. McDonald, entered the town of Paris from the west, in hot haste, with whoops and yells. Col. McDonald's object was to capture a company of militia, numbering 60 or 70 men, in charge of Capt. William E. Fowkes. Capt. Fowkes and his company were, at the time, quartered at the Glenn House. The Confederates at once attacked the building containing the militia, their fire being returned in a spirited manner. After firing at each other at intervals from three p. m. to six p. m., Capt. Fowkes with his company surrendered. The  Confederates had kindled a fire under a frame building, which stood where the Masonic Hall building now stands, and this being connected by other frame buildings with the Glenn House, they thus expected to set fire to the latter. This fact being made known to Capt. Fowkes, and at the same time a flag of truce from Col. McDonald, being borne by Mrs. Fowkes, the Captain's wife, who was ushered into his presence, induced him to surrender. His men were all paroled, only one person in either command was hurt,-a man by the name of Mills, in Capt. Fowkes' company, receiving a slight wound.


It was from Paris that Maj. A. V. E. Johnson started (September 26, 1864,) with detachments of Cos. A, G and H, Thirty-ninth  Missouri, in pursuit of Bill Anderson, George Todd, John  Thrailkill, et al. The next day, September 27th, the fight occurred near Centralia, where Johnson and 122 of his men were killed.




Capt. Preston Adams, Thomas H. Adams, S. W. Adams, E. M. Anderson, Evan Anderson, J. W. Atterberry, Charles I. Allen, Walter Ashby, J. W. Arnold, William Brown, John Bryant, George Bounds, Crockett Bower, killed; Col. Theodore Brace, R. T.  Bridgeford, G. M. Bower, James Bower, dead; A. J. Bower, killed; Henry Bell, Edwin Bassett, William Bassett, dead; Green Bodkins, B. B. Bodkins, Jeremiah Baker, J.K. P. Bozarth, Isaac Beauchamp, John Bridgeford, William Bridgeford, James T. Ball, Henry Bryant, Richard Bryant, J. O. Coats, G. W. Crow, Capt. James P. Crow,  Robert Carver, Samuel Crutcher, J. Q. Curry, G. M. Curry, R. E. Caldwell, J. R. Channing, John C. Combs, John S. Combs, James T.  Combs, Manless Curry, Preston Combs, killed; Isaac Coppage, O.  F. Chancey, S. Coppage, John Cleaver, Edward Callaway, Jacob Clayton, dead ; James A. Dye, John T. Dry, Thomas P. Dawson, B. F. Dowell, V. P. Davis, William Davis, John S. Drake, Henry  Daniel, B. M. Eli, Singleton Evans, A. K. Edwards, James Edwards, J. M. Edwards, H. M. Eaton, S. B. Fitzpatrick, Joel A. Foster, Duck Fletcher, L. M. Farrell, William M. Farrell, Joseph M. Farrell,  Richard Farrell, N. B. Farrell, W. S. Forsyth, John Fox, Charles B. Grant, W. B. Giddings, Joshua Goodnight, P. H. Goodnight, J. R. Grove, A. H. Gwyn, J. W. Gillespie, dead; George T. Goe, dead; William Goe, dead; E. Grigsby, Chilton Gosney, B. F. Hickman, James Hulen, Henry Howard, Joseph Howard, chaplain; Benjamin Houtchens, dead; J. H. Harp, J. R. Hanger, C. W. Hanger, John T. Hickey, Benjamin N. Harvin, Joseph Hersman, C. E. Holtzclaw,  Frank Holtzclaw, Capt. W. H. Holliday, Capt. W. G. Hastings, David Hollingsworth, Al. Hamilton, Gus. Holtzclaw, dead; E. C. Hedden, Henry C. Horn, W. C. Horn, E. E. Hickok, Sylvester  Hagan, Dud. Hagan, J. E. Horn, Samuel Jarber, Nathan King, Joseph Klumiph, J. D. Kerlin, William Keugh, James E. Lanhan,  Thad. Leake, J. M. Moore, R. T. Moore, Thomas Moore, killed; Thomas McBride, John McDowell, dead; Rice Maupin, J. R.  Moredock, J. B. Morris, Tip. Mordens, killed; Capt. E. D. Major, W. H. Major, James I. Major, H. H. Manpin, J. H. Maupin, James E.  McLeod, J. D. Mitchell, John Meadows, E. McGee, James A. McGee, S. H. Morrison, dead; Thomas Meals, William Noel, S. H. Nave, F. L. Pitts, Col. L. A. Pindall, B. F. Power, Hugh Pollard, killed; James L. Pollard, B. D. Pollard, Peter Powell, Robert F. Parsons, James Pogue, Robert Pogue, W. L. Penn, Silas M. Rodgers, John P. Rudacill, Philip H. Rudacill, John Rigsby, W. T. Roberson, James Rouse, dead; James Raney, Thomas Reavis, E. W. Smith, Robert Swinney, William Sparks, killed; Thomas  Sidner, killed; Hugh Stewart, T. B. Sprowl, R. H. Smithey, S. W. Smithey, J. E. Smiser, W. E. Smiser, Thomas Smiser, T. J. C.  Smith, Thomas Sparks, E. P. Snelll Joseph Stephens, Albert Shortridge, William Smith, Walker Stewart, Stephen Scobee, Thomas Terrill, Capt. Joseph Thompson, Richard Trussell, J. N. Turner, Singleton Thompson, John Treadway, dead ; Neal Turner, Richard Thompson, William Utterback, Oeven Utterback, John Vaughn, dead; Frank Vaughn, Clayton Vivian, Al. Vandeventer, Charles Willis, Daniel Waltz, Daniel Woodward, B. T. Welch,  killed; S. G. Woodson, John Williams, N. Williams, Capt. B. F. White, W. H. Wigginton, G. W. Waller, John M. Wood, Capt. T. V.  Wilson, Samuel Wooldridge, W. Wright, Henry White, Thomas White, John White, Thomas Woods, Nat Wood, Joseph White. 


Up to December 31, 1863, Monroe county had furnished 41 men for the regular United States service; in the Missouri State Militia, 38. Under calls previous to December 19, 1864, Monroe county furnished 474, being 7 more than her quota. Under call of December 19, 1864, the county furnished 134. There was no deficiency under the draft.