Campbell’s Gazetteer of Missouri
the north-east-central part of the State, is bounded north by
Shelby and Marion, east by Ralls, south by Audrain and west by
Randolph and Shelby Counties, and contains 422, 455 acres.
1850, 10, 547
1860, 14, 785
1870, 17, 149, of whom 15, 144 were white, and 2, 005 colored; 9,
014 male, and 8, 135 female; 16, 624 native (10, 601 born in
Missouri,) and 525 foreign.
first white settlers in what is now Monroe County were two
families named Smith, two named Wittenburger, and one named Gillet,
who came in 1819, the first from Tennessee, the latter from some
of the Eastern States, and settled on the North Fork of Salt River
in the north-eastern part of the county.
was organized from Ralls county, January 6th, 1831, at
which time it contained several thousand inhabitants, principally
settlers from Kentucky, Virginia and the Eastern States.
the first two years of the Civil War, the Confederates occupied
the county, and several slight skirmishes occurred. After this,
the Federals held possession until surrender.
country near the streams is hilly, elsewhere it is about equally
divided between rolling prairie and timber lands. Along the
streams are fertile bottom lands. The soil is a clayey loam, and,
except on the bluffs and breaks of the streams, it is rich and
productive. The prevailing rock is limestone. The county is well
watered by Salt River and its tributaries, chief of which are Lost
Branch, Reese’s Fork, Elk Fork, flat Creek, Middle Fork and
Crooked Creek, affording in the eastern portion abundant power for
flouring and saw mills.
wheat, corn, oats, rye, tobacco and fruits, nearly every farm
having an orchard which yields generously. Blue grass grows
spontaneously, and is a very important item since this is one of
the principal stock counties of the State, improved breeds of
cattle, horses, hogs and sheep, being well represented.
one-twentieth of the county is not susceptible of cultivation, but
not over one-eighth of the arable land is being worked. The
Hannibal & St. Joseph R. R. Co. have about 1,000 acres of good
land for sale in this county. Land is worth from $2 to $20 per
acre, according to quality, location and state of improvement.
coal of good quality is abundant in nearly every township of the
county save the northern tier, but no efforts have been made at
mining except where it lies near the surface. Red hematite ore,
which has been found about 3 miles west of Paris and near Madison,
is said to exist in paying quantities, and a sample of the same
inspected at St. Louis, is pronounced to contain 85 per cent of
pure iron. A good quality of potters’ clay is found in many
confined to agricultural implements, wagon and plow manufactories,
saw and grist mills and woolen factories.
of the county per census of 1870, $10, 550, 000. Assessed
valuation in 1873, $5, 352, 610. Taxation, $1.45 per $100. Bonded
debt, $250,000. Floating debt, $19,800.
Missouri, Kansas & Texas R. R., (late Hannibal & Missouri
Central,) passes through the county entering at the north-eastern
corner, and has 40 ½ miles of track. The Hannibal and St. Joseph
R. R. has 4 ½ miles in the north eastern part of the county. The
projected line of the St. Paul, Keosauqua & St. Louis R. R.
passes across the eastern part of the county, and when completed
will have about 30 miles of road. The railroad debt is $250,000,
which is mostly held by citizens of the county. These bonds are
eagerly sought at par, accrued interest added. They have never
principally wheat, corn, oats, horses, cattle, mules, hogs, sheep
county is divided into 22 districts, and these into 110
sub-districts. Paris has a fine school building erected in 1869,
at a cost of $11,000. Monroe City, Madison and other towns also
have good school buildings. The school houses of the sub-districts
are good and substantial, many of them being new and all paid for.
public school fund, arising from the sale of the 16th
sections of Government Land and other sources, is $106,000. This
fund cannot be used for any other purpose. It is invested in bonds
and mortgages on real estate, bearing 10 per cent interest. The
official reports show this county to be third in the educational
statistics of the State.
a station on the M. K. & T. R. R. 4 miles n. e. of Paris.
on the M. K. & T. R. R. 16 miles n. e. of Paris, was settled
in 1870, and has 1 store. Population, about 30
(formerly Somerset,) 12 miles n. n. e. of Paris, 6 miles w. from
Clapper and 5 miles s. of Lakenan, Shelby County, was settled in
1840, and contains 2 potteries. Population, about 30
– see Indian Creek
on the Paris and Hannibal wagon road, at the crossing of the North
Fork of Salt River, 10 miles n. e. of Paris, was settled in 1842.
Population, about 15
(Mill Grove), on the M. K. & T. R. R., 17 miles west of Paris,
was settled in 1870. Population, about 30
12 miles east of Paris, on the line of the proposed St. P., K.
& St. L. R. R., 6 miles s. e. of Stoutsville, was settled in
1831. Plat of town in Recorder’s Office, book A, page 4, was the
first plat recorded in the county. It is pleasantly located on the
divide between North and South Fork of Salt River, ¾ of a mile
from their confluence, and was one a very flourishing town, and
competed with Paris for the county seat. It has now 4 stores, 2
wagon shops, 2 water saw and grist mills, 1 church M. E. chu.
South, worth $700, and 1 public school. Population, about 150 The
humorist, Mark Twain, was born here.
9 miles n. w. of Paris and 8 miles south of Shelbina, on the H.
& St. J. R. R. has 2 stores, 1 steam flouring-mill, 1 wagon
shop, 1 public school and 2 churches—Methodist and Christian.
Population about 75
on the M.K. & T. R. R., 6 miles west of Paris, has 1 store.
Creek, (Elizabethtown), on the Paris and Hannibal wagon road, 16
miles n. e. of Paris and 3 miles e. of Clapper, was settled in
1836, and has 1 wagon shop, 2 stores, 1 public school and 1
church—Catholic, costing $2,500. Population, about 80
Branch, is a post office 10 miles s. s. e. of Paris
on the M.K. & T. R. R., 12 miles west of Paris, settled in
1836 by James R. Abernathy, contains 6 stores, 1 school and 2
churches Methodist and Christian. Population about 200
Grove, 18 miles w. s. w. of Paris and 4 miles s. of Evansville,
settled in 1830, contains 1 steam flouring mill, 1 wagon shop, 4
stores, 1 public school and 2 churches—Presbyterian and
Christian. Population, about 250
City, on the H. & St. J. R. R., 20 miles n. e. of Paris, is
situated on a high, rolling prairie in the extreme north-eastern
corner of the county. It was laid out in 1857, though improved but
little until the close of the late war, was incorporated April 16th,
1869, and contains 1 steam flouring mill with improved machinery,
1 agricultural implement and 1 coach and wagon factory, about 25
stores, 2 hotels, 2 livery stables, 2 harness shops, 4
churches—Episcopal, Presbyterian, Baptist and
Christian---aggregate value, $20,000. The Methodists worship in
the Presbyterian church. There is 1 female institute with a fine
brick building, 1 male and female academy and 1 male academy; also
a public school. The surrounding country is well adapted to stock
raising, and this is an important shipping point for cattle, hogs,
and sheep. Population, about 900
the county seat, on the M.K. & T. R. R.,, 41 miles w. of
Hannibal, and near the center of the county, is finely located on
the south bank of Middle Fork of Salt River. It was settled in
1831 by J. C. Fox, incorporated Nov. 19th, 1855, and
contains a three story steam flouring mill, built in 1867 at a
cost of $15,000, which has all the modern improvements, a three
story steam woolen factory, built in 1865, costing $12,000, 2 plow
and wagon factories, about 32 stores, 2 saddler’s shops, 3
hotels, 1 bank, 2 livery stables and 1 marble cutter.
court house, occupying a square near the business center of the
town, is a large and commodious brick structure, one of the best
in northeastern Missouri. It was built in 1866 and cost $50,000.
There are 6 churches—Presbyterian, Christian, 2 Baptist and 2
Methodist—aggregate value, $23,000, and 1 public school building
erected in 1869, at a cost of $11,000, which has 250 pupils and
employs 5 teachers.
fair grounds of the Monroe County Agricultural Association are
located here. The Masonic hall, erected in 1872, and costing
$8,000, is a handsome three-story brick building. The I. O. O. F.
also have a fine two-story building. All of the public streets are
macadamized. Paris has 2 weekly newspapers—The Mercury, Bean,
Mason & Co., publishers, and the Appeal, Anderson &
Blanton, publishers. Population, about 1,200
Fe, 15 miles s. e. of Paris, first settled in 1825, contains 1
steam saw and grist mill, 2 stores, 1 public school and 2
churches—Methodist and Christian—valued at $3,000. Population
– See Clinton
on the M. K. & T. R. R. 12 miles northeast of Paris, was
settled in 1870, and contains 1 flouring mill, 1 wagon shop and 2
stores. Population, about 70
a post office 11 miles s. w. of Paris
a post office 10 miles s. w. of Paris
16 miles n. w. of Paris and 10 miles from Clarence on the H. &
St. J. R. R., has 1 store. Population, about 20